Renewing your passport is as easy as getting your passport for the first time and can be done by mail (for most people).
Watch this video for instructions on renewing your passport or continue reading below for step-by-step directions.
We've also included a nifty printable passport renewal checklist.
The only people who can't renew by mail and must apply in person are people who:
- Have a damaged passport (beyond normal wear and tear)
- You can submit your old passport
- Your last passport was issued within the last 15 years
- Your passport was issued at age 16 or older
- And your passport was issued in your current name or you have legally certified name change documents
Everyone else can renew by mail using Form DS-82 and by following these six easy steps.