Housing is one of your most expensive travel costs. Factors that affect the cost of housing are your housing choice, the length of stay and timing. But if you are willing to think outside the box, you can save money on housing.
Your Housing Options
- Airbnb/Vacation rental sites
- Craiglist or local paper ads
- Long-term leasing
- Becoming a homeowner
- WOOFing/Workaway/Room and Board Exchange
- House sitting
- Staying with friends/family
- Hooking up for the night
- Sleeping in the car or on a bus, train or plane
How to Save Money on Housing
- The longer you book, the cheaper the rates. Slow travel is the cheapest way to go. Not only can you book for longer which saves you money, but you can also consider long-term leases.
- Shopping around. Hotels are generally your most expensive housing options, but you can find deals by checking hotels comparison sites, using credit card or loyalty membership points, looking at the hotel's website, as well as keeping an eye on social media specials.
- Splitting the cost with other people. If you are traveling with friends or hook up with other people, you can split the cost of rent, saving a great deal of money.
- Using a little elbow grease to earn your lodging. House sitting and room and board exchanges are all about using a little of your time and skills to pay for your housing and in some cases food as well. You can even find hostels who will give you a bed in exchange for doing a little cleaning.
- Or you can try out some of the free housing options which don't require you to do anything such as couch surfing, staying with friends or family, hooking up for the night or sleeping in your car.
- Another great way to save money on housing is to schedule overnight travel trips. By traveling on the bus, plane or train overnight, you can save money on a room by sleeping in your seat.